We are Real Estate and Inmmigration Lawyers, who can also give you Legal and Corporate Advice, assume your legal representation in civil and criminal prosecution, work out for you draft of legal documents, administrative procedures and we can also represent your interest in commercial or real estate matters.


For your convenience, we are in Guadalajara, Cancun and Tulum - Mexico, or you can contact us through our representatives in Ottawa, Canada, and Bilbao, Spain.

For Legal Services in Mexico please visit us at:

Immigration and Citizenship Services

The Migration Law establishes three main migratory categories, the so-called permanence conditions to replace the more than 30 migratory categories and the modalities foreseen in the previous General Population Law.

The condition of stay is assigned by the authorities of the National Migration Institute to a foreigner according to their "intention of residence" as follows:

1. Visitors
2. Temporary residence
3. Permanent residence


And in the same way, we advise people who, having complied with the term of the Law, wish to obtain their Citezenship or Naturalization Letter.


I. Migratory categories




The status of visitors allows short-term entry into Mexico for various purposes, such as tourism, business, transit, among others.

A business visitor may participate in limited short-term activities as authorized by Mexican immigration authorities for up to 180 calendar days (or 6 months).

A visitor visa for Mexico can be obtained at the Consulate of Mexico abroad. Some countries do not require a visa to enter Mexico. and also, some people can exempt the visa requirement based on programs that allow entry into national territory, such as:

• Valid United States Visa;
• Proof of permanent residence in Canada, Japan, Great Britain and the countries of the Schengen area
• APEC business travel card (ABTC) approved by Mexico
• Certificate certifying that the foreigner is a member of the crew of an airplane or maritime transport that arrives in the country.

Business visitors only need to complete the FMM (Multiple Migratory Format) format that is provided during their flight to Mexico or at the port of entry; the migration officer may request evidence proving the purpose of the trip discretionally, such as hotel reservations, return tickets to the country of origin, letter from the employer, letter of invitation from the Mexican entity they are visiting or any other supporting documentation It can be requested by the immigration authorities.

Temporary residence

This condition of migratory stay replaces most of the old visa categories FM3 and FM2 and works for those who enter the country for study purposes, such as foreigners with a job offer issued by a Mexican company, according to the assumptions of the union family. (as a Mexican wife). or husband, among others).

The foreigner is authorized to remain in the Mexican territory for more than 180 days for a maximum period of 4 years, provided that he demonstrates that he is within one of the established qualification criteria.


1. proving economic solvency
2. Be part of a research project or collection of the scientific sample within Mexican territory
3. Have family ties in Mexico
4. Receive an invitation offered by a public or private entity to participate in an economic or non-economic activity within Mexican territory
5. Own real estate in Mexico
6. Be an investor

Permanent residence


Foreigners with permanent residence can remain indefinitely in Mexico, this legal status allows foreigners to perform any lucrative legal activity in the country.


The term for obtaining permanent residence is after having completed a period of 4 years under a temporary residence status, among other cases provided for in the Migration Law.


Permanent residence can also be obtained by other means:

• Points System - In order to attract professionals and specialized technicians, and develop training and growth in different areas, a point system is established through which foreigners can acquire the Permanent Resident status (with the right to enter and exit the country and perform all kinds of lucrative activities) complying with a system of points for education and work experience.

• Family unit - The foreigner contracts family ties with a Mexican.

1. Work Visas

We have the knowledge and experience to assist companies in migratory procedures to obtain temporary residence with permission to work in Mexico (colloquially called "work visa") of their foreign personnel. We have worked with industries in the automotive, energy, oil, telecommunications, construction, hotel and restaurant sectors, as well as small and medium businesses in Mexico.

We know the importance that immigration procedures have for companies, by bringing expatriates to Mexico, so we are committed to following up on each of the immigration procedures entrusted to us, as well as informing our clients about their status. 

We can also support foreigners who wish to complete the immigration process of obtaining temporary residence with permission to work in Mexico.

- Work permits

A Work Permit authorizes a foreigner to work legally in Mexico and receive a payment for their services. To obtain it, the foreigner must have an offer of employment by a natural or legal person that has his / her Certificate of Employer issued by the National Institute of Migration. The foreigner is granted the status of Temporary Resident with Permission to Work, as well as his corresponding card, with which he can remain in the national territory as well as entering and leaving it, for up to one year after its issuance.

- Employer Evidence

The Employer's Certificate is the document issued by the National Migration Institute, which authorizes a Mexican natural or legal person (either a company or an individual) to issue job offers to foreigners. Job offers are necessary to be able to apply for temporary residence with a work permit, which allows foreigners to legally reside in Mexico and work.

Employers who have an Employer's Certificate are required by immigration laws to notify the National Institute of Migration of any change in information (such as company name, address, employment plan).

The latest annual tax return is also required, in order to verify that the company is active.

- Visitor with Permission to Perform Remunerated Activities

This stay condition authorizes a foreigner to stay in the national territory for a period of 180 days (or 6 months) and perform paid activities for that time. Any of the following requirements is required:

1. Employment offer issued by a natural or legal person that has an Employer's Certificate.
2. Invitation by any authority or academic, artistic, sports or cultural institution, indicating that the services provided by the foreigner will be in favor of the institution that extends the invitation.
3. Proof that the foreigner comes to Mexico to perform paid activities for a specific period of time, in accordance with inter-institutional agreements concluded with foreign entities.

- Visitor Border Worker

Authorizes a foreigner who is a citizen of one of the countries that has a border with Mexico (United States of America, Guatemala and Belize) to remain in national territory for 1 year in certain federal entities determined by the Ministry of the Interior.

2. Family Unit

Foreigners with the conditions of temporary and permanent residents will be entitled to the preservation of the family unit, so they can enter with or request later the entrance of the following persons:

•    Father or mother.
•    Spouse. You will be granted the status of temporary resident for two years, after which you can obtain the status of permanent resident, as long as the marriage bond remains.
• Concubine, concubine, or equivalent figure. You will be granted the status of temporary resident for two years, after which you can obtain the status of permanent resident, as long as the cohabitation subsists.
• Children of the permanent resident and the children of the spouse or concubine or concubine. provided that they are girls, boys and adolescents and have not married, or are under their guardianship or custody, and
• Provided they are girls, boys and adolescents and have not married, or are under their legal representation.

Mexicans will also have the right to the preservation of the family unit, which is why they can also request the following persons to enter the country or later:

• To his father or mother.
• To your spouse, to whom you will be granted the status of "temporary resident" for two years, after which you can obtain the status of "permanent resident" as long as the marriage bond subsists.
• To his concubine or his concubine, proving this situation in accordance with the assumptions stated in Mexican civil law, granting the status of "temporary resident" for two years, after which he may obtain the status of permanent resident and when the concubinage subsists.
• To their children born abroad, when in accordance with Mexican laws they are not Mexican.
• To the children of the spouse, concubine or foreign concubine, as long as they are girls, boys and adolescents and they have not married, or are under their legal representation.
• To their siblings, as long as they are girls, boys or adolescents and have not married or are under their legal representation.

II. Citezenship or Naturalization

Naturalization is the process by which a citizen of a foreign country acquires the nationality of another, acquiring links that force him to remain legally in the country.

The process of naturalization in Mexico is based on the Nationality Law and its regulations, the process is conducted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and is authorized when the following legal assumptions are met:

© Todos los Derechos de Autor y de Propiedad Industrial están protegidos.

  • Facebook Social Icon